What is Local SEO?
Local SEO as you would expect is about optimising your website on a local level (county, city, town). People will do searches i.e Taxi near me, lawyer near me, Taxi Southampton, Lawyer in london etc. Google My Business (Map Locations near top of search results can greatly help your business’ presence for those looking for a local business.
For those individuals who have the time and want to improve their rankings within the search engines I have some tips below for you.
What can I do myself as a local business owner to help improve my Local Search Engine Rankings?
I will preface this with any good web designer will incorporate SEO into the heart of the build of the website as opposed to treating it as an adjunct, bolt on or afterthought. The reason for this is that site architecture is important to SEO because the way your site is constructed and built can promote a positive user experience and journey. So factoring in SEO from the outset can help place the user at the forefront of thinking and urges the client to consider ‘how will users/clients/customers find my website?’. For example, if you’re looking for a web designer in Southampton, you may type ‘Web Designer Southampton’ into Google if my site wasn’t optimised or built to attract these sort of searches then I wouldn’t benefit from you being on my website which would be bad news for my business.
- Have your site built with SEO factored into the heart of the build (make sure it’s mobile & tablet responsive)
- Write for Users NOT search engines (Ideally 400 words per page)
- Avoid Duplicate content, overstuffing keywords and having too many pages with low quality content.
- Verify your site on Google My Business ( add all details – opening hours, images etc to complete it 100%)
- Encourage Google My Business Reviews (Ensure these are legitimate or they will be ignored as spam)
- Place your business on other quality local directories such as Bing for Business, Yelp etc.
- Create a Facebook Page and a Twitter Account.
- Incorporate a News/Blog section onto your website to help keep your site active.
- Share News posts through social media accounts with link back to your website (Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, LinkedIN)
- Optimise Meta Title (approx 57 characters) and Meta Descriptions (approx 160 characters) on key pages (If have a wordpress site you may find the Yoast Plugin useful for this.